Krav Maga Self Defence System
What is the Krav Maga Self Defence System?
Krav Maga is a self defence system used and invented by the IDF (Israeli Defence Forces). It was invented by Imi Lichtenfield who honed his skills in the 1930’s fighting fascist thugs in Bratislava. During this period Imi, who’s background was in western boxing and grappling, learned the difference between sport and street fighting. Imi was forced to leave Bratislava in the late 1930’s as Europe became a battlefield. Imi went on to develop Krav Maga in 1948. Read more
Takedowns and Groundfighting
Krav Maga only has a few takedowns, there are many we could use but we only use a handful of the ones which are easiest to remember and work well against larger attackers. Read more
Sparring Tips for Beginners
In this guide our Sparring Tips for Beginners we look to advise the Krav Maga student or student from any striking or submission based martial art on how to improve their sparring ability.
Krav Maga is widely regarded as the best form of self defence training. It is comprised of a mixture of martial arts and modern street self defence techniques and tactics. In Krav Maga, practitioners will regularly train in Boxing, Muay Thai and Grappling (BJJ) as well as alongside weapons training and multiple opponent training.
There are numerous types of sparring for Krav Maga Typically…
- Stand up sparring – hands and kicks, muay thai and kickboxing rules
- Stand up Sparring – hands only
- Ground sparring – no strikes
- Ground sparring – all strikes allowed
- Open sparring – stand up and ground allowed
- Multiple opponent sparring – survival mode
How to Improve in Martial Arts
Krav Maga Bristol Titans coach Jim Halton maps out the 8 things required to show you how to improve in Martial Arts and level up your Krav Maga Game.
1. Set your goals, write them somewhere you can see them, do you want to lose weight? Do you want to be fighting fit? Do you want to master a martial art? Do you want to be confident, driven and goal orientated? Decide what your ultimate goal is and then take steps to making it happen. Read more
Self Defence Classes in Bristol
The Krav Maga Bristol Titans Academy offer self defence classes in Bristol every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday at 7.00pm
Why is Krav Maga so widely regarded as the Best form of Self Defence?
The combatives of Krav Maga are based on a mix of Western Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo and Jiu Jitsu – this sometimes leads to the question but what is the difference then between Krav Maga and a combat sport such as MMA, BJJ or Judo?
The differences are actually quite big. Although the combatives (striking or grappling) are the same, in sports you always train for a one on one sport scenario with rules set for safety and against a similar sized and skilled opponent. In Krav Maga we train to defend against this scenario and teach all of our students how to punch, kick and wrestle BUT we also spend time training in:
- Fighting larger opponents
- Fighting against multiple attackers
- Defending against attacks with weapons such as knives, firearms and bats as well as improvised weapons such as bottles and glasses.
- Dealing with threats – and looking to resolve a situation without having to resort to physical violence
- Training to defend yourself when you have your wife or kids with you
Control and Restraint in Self Defence
I was recently asked to provide some training in the form of holding techniques to a security professional interested in Control and Restraint in Self Defence. This was my reply, I thought I would share it on the blog as it may contain some useful and relevant information to students of Krav Maga, martial arts and other forms of self defence as well as security professionals. Read more