Krav Maga Striking Combinations
The combative foundation of Krav Maga or any form of self defence should be built on a mixture of muscle memory, experience under stress, timing and power. The elite of any profession are those who have drilled and redrilled and mastered the basics. Some of the striking combinations that we will be working on for the next 2 weeks:
Typically at the club we tend to use 2 or 3 different numbering systems based on systems that I have trained myself in the past.
Basic Muay Thai numbering system:
1 = jab
2 = jab cross
3 = jab cross hook
4 = jab cross hook uppercut
5 = jab cross hook uppercut hook
You can work these combinations on their own (just hands) or you can add a kick or a knee to them, usually 1, 3 and 5 end with a right kick or right knee and 2 and 4 end with a left kick or knee.
After that there are several other things the padman looks to add.
The padman or pad holder, should be looking to throw back at the end of every combination. This can be a single punch or a short combination of a mixture of punches and kicks.
It is common for beginners to forgot to move during padwork sessions, during padwork both participants should be training their footwork. Moving fowards, backwards, circling, pressing the fight, evading takedowns etc. When training on the pads, the aim is for the pad round to work on developing the student, finding and overcoming shortfalls and weaknesses and ideally should look similar to a fight. People tend to move out of the way once you start hitting them, that or they come towards you looking to change the range and padwork should simulate this.
STRIKING COMBOS FOR DUTCH BOXING
1. JAB – LEAD HOOK – CROSS
2. JAB – CROSS – JAB – JAB – LRK
3. BLOCK JAB – BLOCK CROSS – 2 – 3 – 2
4. JAB – REAR ROUND KICK
5. JAB – CROSS – HOOK – CLINCH – KNEE * LIGHT KNEES WITH CONTROL
1. RIGHT KICK – LEFT HOOK – CROSS
2. LEFT SWITCH KICK – RIGHT HOOK – LEFT HOOK – CROSS
3. JAB – CROSS – SLIP – 2 – 3 – 2 (QUICK ON THE 212) * SLIP IS OFF A JAB
4. JAB – CROSS – HOOK – WEAVE – LEAD HOOK – LEAD HOOK– LEAD HOOK
5. LOW RIGHT KICK – CROSS – LOW RIGHT KICK – RIGHT BODY KICK (WORKS WELL AGAINST SOUTHPAWS)
NOTE: MASTER ONE COMBO BUILDING UP TO FULL SPEED, POWER WITH GOOD EFFICIENCY OF MOVEMENT BEFORE PROGRESSING ONTO THE NEXT
LRK = LOW REAR KICK
Krav Maga Combinations
There are other ways that the Krav Maga student can look to incorporate various self defence training and skill development into their padwork combinations.
1. Striker throws Jab cross hook – Padman shoots for a takedown, the Striker defends and then the drill repeats. Train for 3 minutes and switch over
2. Striker throws Jab Cross Hook, enters to Clinch 2 also known as the double tie clinch, fires in a couple of knees, stacks the padholder, kick to the groin and release
3. Jab cross hook, 360 block entry to clinch 1, double knee, stack and disengage
4. Striker throws jab cross hook, fires in a double leg takedown, throws 4 strikes to the head and disengages